Camembert summary

13 06 2006

Since camembert milestone is complete, few summary words is due.

Let’s start with the mistakes. Coverage statistics I’ve published few days ago are bogus. All because I didn’t remove .coverage file from my cheesecake development directory. During next run statistics got messed up. I should have suspected an error because line numbers in coverage output were obviously bad. I have to be careful the next time. Fortunately buildbot pointed out my laziness and I was able to fix the bug. So, remember to always use -cover-erase option! Actual number is 79% (with cheesecake_index scoring 75%).

Now about the good things. In this iteration I’ve managed to prepare buildbot setup for automatic generation of Cheesecake documentation (using wonderful epydoc package) and its coverage statistics (using and cover2html script I’ve written). So, if you want to check out what’s currently going on, you have two more sources of up-to-date information (existing one was Trac of course).

Last thing I wrote was a simple tool for converting our ReST README file into Trac Wiki format. This way we are able to maintain a single file and automatically convert it to any necessary format on demand. HTML output is supported by standard docutils distribution, but there wasn’t any solution for Trac Wiki. With a bit of reading through docutils code I’ve come up with a working script that successfully converts Cheesecake README from ReST format into Trac Wiki. Current revision available for download is 14. If you’re interested in writing a custom ReST->anything converter, you may want to read that sources. docutils have quite verbose but self-explanatory API, so it’s not hard to start developing your own script. I also have few simple advices that may help you in your way:

  • Everything you have to do is to write a custom Writer. For examples you may want to look at the HTML Writer code.
  • To make your writer usable use the publisher interface to easily create a command line tool, like standard rst2html or rst2latex.
  • rst2pseudoxml is very helpful during debugging. This tool produces a document tree as seen by the ReST parser.
  • Very important thing is having good unit tests. Because we’re writing a converting engine, most of tests include feeding our application with sample data and validating output it produces. For this simple task the power of unittest or doctest will be getting in your way. I’ve prepared special testing script,, which can be found in the rest2trac package. It finds all files with .in extension in a directory and injects their contents to Trac Writer. After each test it checks if Writer output is the same as corresponding .out file contents. If not – it exits with an error. It should be very easy to use it in our project.

That’s it. Feel free to comment on everything I’ve written. I am happy to hear any feedback.